Finn & Rebecca

Finn & Rebecca

Thursday, October 6, 2011

34 Weeks old today!

Today the twins are 34 weeks old!!! They would have been born in 2 weeks time.  Instead they have been in the world for 3 weeks on Sunday and are doing their growing in NICU. I have been so bad at blogging their NICU story...but do not give up on me...I will be loading a photo journal of their journey soon and tell the story as best as I can.

In summary, they are both doing so very well. Finn weighs 2.1kg already and is in an open cot, wearing his own clothes. I gave him his second bath yesterday.  He is being nose tube fed and his next hurdle is mastering the suck, swallow, breathe skill - they start with bottle feeding soon and then I introduce him to breastfeeding! He sucks on my finger quite well already, but this ability only kicks in at 34-35 weeks...Once he has mastered this, he can go home! Rebecca needs to grow some more as she weighs about 1.7kg now.  She is a smaller baby, but at the same developmental age as Finn, so while she is a little behind with feeding, she also has to master the feeding skill better and put on at least 300g before she can also go home. They are both on breastmilk with a little top-up of formula if I don't make enough. We are hoping that they get to go home at the same time. They are beyond precious and I cry every time I think of how special they both are.

Life in NICU has been interesting and emotional and scary and incredible all in one.  I have not been myself and it has taken me quite some time to recuperate. The physical toil has been quite extreme and I think I have under-estimated the impact the birth has had on me. I have been so very very tired with extremely low energy. My muscle tone from lying in hospital for almost 4 weeks is poor. Having lost 32kg in 2 weeks has really been a shock for my system I think.  My blood pressure which is only stabilising now has also contributed to poor energy levels. My body has been sore, my mind exhausted and I really have not had the energy to blog as I should have been.

I have been expressing every two and a half hours as they are drinking all I produce so I live from express to express.  I have had to drop the 2am expressing though as it was killing me! So I express all day long from 5am to 11pm. I have also been getting up at 5am to catch a lift with DH to the hospital and then getting back late afternoon, so this has been exhausting....I usually run around like superwoman, so it has been a strange experience for me having to admit this...

There has been so much to say.  I am completely in awe of this miracle and the fact that I am a mother and have two babies.A mother...with two beautiful perfect babes...and a very special DH who has just blown me away with his remarkable strength and love. What a blessing I have been given. My heart has swelled with so much love for these 3 special people in my life - I didn't know it could ever feel like this. Words are simply not enough.


  1. Been wondering how you and the babies (and your DH) were doing. So glad their NICU seems relatively uneventful at this stage, may that continue until they're safely home. Good luck with the expressing, it's not something I loved so I do hope your two will soon be latching on and drinking from you.

  2. Cam I am so glad to read your update been looking out for it!

    Your babies are doing so well - and I am glad that you are recognising that you need to give yourself some time - you have been through such an ordeal and your have come through.

    Thinking of you fondly :)

  3. Glad to read this positive update and hoping everything keeps progressing so well with your twins and your own health !! Take care and lots of kind thoughts, S.