Finn & Rebecca

Finn & Rebecca

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Monday is the day!

I was in a snoozy catch up sleep this morning when my Dr arrived at my bedside and said to me..."You had better knit faster". WHAT??? Yes, my protein has doubled since the last reading, so she has decided the babies need to come out latest Monday.  So the theatre is booked, the stage is set, the date is up in the NICU unit...we will be welcoming our twins to the world on Monday 19th September...little Virgo Rabbits, fair of face! We are still waiting for blood test results on Friday, and if there is any reason for Dr to be worried about my liver or kidney function, it could possibly be earlier.  But for now...Monday it is. Wow.

I wish I could have kept them inside to grow some more, but I am so very chuffed that we have bought almost 3 extra weeks.  They will be 31 weeks and 4 days old - only 3 days short of 32 weeks, which is a long way from barely 29 weeks. I would have been in hospital for a total of 16 days before delivering them. We are so lucky to have received such amazing care.  The paediatrition will be coming around to chat to me sometime - need to start thinking about a list of questions...not that I even want to think about any complications - these babies must be strong and fight to grow well..the sooner they get to 2 kg, can suck, breathe and self thermo-regulate, the sooner they can come home.Our little boy is already 2kg which is great and our little girl is about 1.4kg.  Keeping in mind they lose about 20% of their weight just after they are born, they will both need time in NICU. Every baby is diffrerent, but I am hoping their stays are not too long. This means I will be a real NICU mommy - here every day for the next 4 weeks at least until my caeser heals. It is also possible that one baby comes home before the other...we will see.

I will also be getting another course of steroids to help them develop their lungs even more. I might also book another antenatal massage...last one for a while I am sure. On the one hand I am so sad to be saying goodbye to my belly and to feeling them move inside me, but on the other, I can't wait to see their little faces and look into their eyes and welcome them...We have been waiting so very long for this day, it is hard to believe it is really happening now....

9 comments:

  1. You have done so great! Enjoy your last pregnancy massage and the last few days with them inside your belly. All the best for Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for you Cammy! I am so pleased that they have stayed put for this long - per mommy's instruction! ;-)
    And you don't need me to wax lyrical about Virgo's.. but we will rule the World one day!
    All the best and enjoy that last massage! Goodness knows you have earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be thinking of you and your babies lots, Cam! You've all done so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pleeeeease promise me you are still going to take some belly shots. Otherwise I'll come and take some myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can't believe it's time! And it was just yesterday when we knew for sure that it was a bfp...

    Enjoy the last days of peace and quiet because it is gonna get hectic from now on!!!!!

    All the best to you both and please post some pics as soon as the babies have been born!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting Cam! And WELL DONE on getting them to bake for so much longer... can't wait for you to meet your babies...

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you also! You did awesome to keep going with them for so long and that will definitely benefit them :) Good work. Best wishes for Monday and can't wait to read future updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck Cam, you've done so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so amazing how fast the time has gone. So excited for you and thinking of you, DH and your little ones for Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete