Finn & Rebecca

Finn & Rebecca

Friday, July 8, 2011

21 Weeks and update

So my 21 Week date which was supposed to have been such a special day turned into a potential nightmare instead...After the terrible anatomy scan scare, I went straight to my Obgyn the next morning. Burst into tears and couldn't stop, She took a swab test and checked my fluid with litmus paper and scanned me.  She checked my cervix which is measuring 4cm and long and closed - exactly as it should be and she couldn't see any sign of funnelling or beaking, but baby girl's head was in the way - right up against the cervix.  She explained that diagnosis of premature ruptured membranes is more difficult with twins as they are so close and you can't always see the whole picture. She also said that it is possible for her membrane to be touching her face and then pooling behind her so it can't be seen but she felt that while it looked like she had less fluid, she had enough. apparently you can also leak fluid from above them in the uterus and it may not mean a ruptured membrane. But rather to be safe rather than sorry, she said she wanted to admit me to hospital for 24 hours monitoring - to check pads and discharge and also to do blood tests to check more thoroughly for infection. She has also forbidden me to google anything diagnostic...

On the one hand I really didn't expect that but on the other relieved that she was taking it so seriously. It was really scary being walked over to the maternity ward and having to self-admit myself.  I did this and was shown to a bed, filled in hundreds of forms and started being monitored - temperature, blood pressure (which was really high 144 / 96 - hopefully due to stress!). The lab whisked in and did my blood tests, lunch was served, and day in hospital began. I had to give the sister my pad so she could press a litmus strip onto it to check if it changed colour to blue - a sign that it is amniotic fluid which has a PH level of 7-7.5. The first check was clear which was such a relief. Then they issued me with these boatlike pads - I mean you would need to be leaking half a cup of fluid to get a reading, so luckily, they were "dry" the next two checks - a good sign.

At 10pm I settled down to sleep and fell into a really deep sleep only to be rudely awakened just after 12 with the lights switched on...and the bed next to mine being wheeled outside.  Oh nooooo I realised that someone was coming in - and no doubt an emergency someone.  The lights went off and half an hour later the nurses came back in to apologise that indeed they had to bring an emergency caeser patient in to share my room as there was no other space. It is not policy for them to mix patients with babies with patients without - I mean if I was having severe complications and at risk of losing my babies - can you imagine having to room next to a new mother - so not on.

Anyway eventually they all arrived - mom, new babe, midwife, hubby and of course I realised sleep would not be possible. Terribly frustrating but so amazing that they were experiencing this special day.  I still would have preferred my dark quiet room though lol. Eventually at 2h30 they left but then I had to listen to the new babe sucking and snorting and snuffling and crying when she fell off her breast. And of course the half hourly blood pressure tests and other checks for new mom - beeping machine right next to me.  Aaaargh.  Eventually had another hour or so sleep from 4h30 to 5h30 when they wake you all up with tea! I was starving as dinner had been served at 5pm the evening before...and breakfast would only arrive after 8am!

Anyway, so only about 3 hours sleep, but then Dr arrived to say she would discharge me that morning as all looked okay. The blood test shows slightly elevated white blood cell count but not enough to warrant concern - it could be due to my cold or some inflammation in my body. I am to monitor discharge and see her in a week to check baby girl's fluid level.  She also said I must call if worried about anything.  She was really sweet and this experience has really restored my opinion of her.

So I am beyond relieved and trusting that all will be well for the next 15 weeks.  I do not want to have to be back at hospital until then. Okay babes...please be perfectly okay until the 20th October.

Will post the usual 21 Week update and scan pics soon...

6 comments:

  1. Oh SOOOOO glad to hear from you again. Sorry about the disruptive night....ugh hospitals! Holding you and babes in light. All love and hang in there Cam+2. And hey, I am a reference librarian - YOU are forbidden to google things but I give out reassuring information to library patrons all the time. Just joking - I know why the ObGyn said that - there is way too much scary, worst case scenario stuff out there. Good to know you feel trust for her and that you are in good hands. Sometimes the universe knows best and really puts us through it, hey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that things are looking on the up and up. Hoping that these concerns become a thing of the past and you can start relaxing and enjoying more so again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a relief to hear that you and your little ones are doing well, Cam! Hope you'll have a lovely, relaxing weekend with your precious cargo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Cam!! What a scare!! I am praying all is well...and that hospital stay...sounded like a nightmare. Stay strong...hoping all will continue to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. spent alot of my weekend thinking about you! So glad that things are looking ok! Sjoe. I cannot imagine what a stress it must've been for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that things are well with you and your LOs. Hope you can relax a bit and please take care good care of yourself Cam !!

    ReplyDelete